Saturday, April 21, 2007

Rest and Recovery before the Storm

Today is Saturday and I am in Michigan visiting my mom, who has been declining in health for some time.

Deb was going to use this weekend to rest and prepare for the start of chemotherapy next week.

We agree that the outlook is good for a full return of health after six to eight months of chemo and then surgery. I think we know in concept how dibilitating the effects of the chemo can be and we are prepared for that possibility.

It it interesting to read other sites and trace the journey of others who have battled cancer. The many ups and downs, side effects like nausea, difficulty eating, weight loss, lower white blood cell counts and the depression that is only natural when you are fighting for your life.

It seems that the partner of a cancer patient has to be pretty strong and supportive during the treatments. I only hope I can measure up. Deb is the one with the silent strength needed in these circumstances, while I notice the last few days an increasing sadness in me and some anger. My mom is slowly dying and now with Deb having cancer it seems a bit overwhelming to me.

I have so many things to be thankful for and many people to pray for too. God will have to work overtime so I can get it all done.

Dan

2 comments:

Loni and Chuck said...

This is a wonderful way to keep us informed about the latest events. Thank you so much. You are in our prayers every day. I would be so happy to help in any way. Love, Loni and Chuck

RubyShooZ said...

Loving the person you love and showing that love and support no matter what her decisions are is first and foremost in the things I treasure about my husband during these times of all the doctors and facing hard decisions that all folks with cancer treat.

I think from what I've seen, (I'm new to your blog) that you are a very loving and supportive man and doing all the right things.

Keep showing that love and being there and find time for yourself as well.

Hugs to you both!~